Oct 3, 2006

Homestay Weekend

Back in early Septemer, I had a wonderful homestay for a weekend with the Nakano family. The weekend started with a cooking class for all the participants and their homestay families. We made some delicious sushi cake, somen noodles, and some other things which I can't remember the names of now.
The Nakano family took me around to some places around Kanoya, the city that they live in, including this beautiful waterfall, a rose garden, and an airplane museum (the dad is an airplane mechanic in the Japanese Self Defense Force).

On the Saturday night, the kids were in the local sumo competition which I had a lot of fun watching. All the kids in the community battle sumo style against other kids their own age.
Me and the family.

The Nakano family invited over some of their relatives on saturday night to meet me. They were all super nice. The Nakano family has a beautiful home and treated me like royalty. I got first use of the bath water (in japan, the bath is filled once with hot water and everyone soaks in it... after a good washing before getting in.

The homestay was a great experience, and I hope to go back and visit with the family some more another time.

No comments: